CLEVELAND MASONIC TEMPLE HISTORY
The Masonic Temple is located in downtown Cleveland at 3615 Euclid Ave. just east of Playhouse Square and near the Cleveland State University Campus. Erected in 1921 and the original residence of the Cleveland Orchestra, the venue has been host to various performing arts productions and live music events over the years all while serving as the home to the Masons.
Most recently hosting performers such as MGMT, Bastille, Fitz and the Tantrums, The 1975, Pixies, Kirk Franklin, Joe Rogan, Ghost, Leon Bridges and Sturgill Simpson.
TempleLive, a company originating out of Fort Smith, Arkansas has come to breathe new life into one of Cleveland’s most mysterious and oldest landmarks to open up the doors for the public. The newly revived Cleveland Masonic Temple will also be offering several different event spaces to the public to accommodate almost any function at an affordable cost.
The iconic 7-story building, which contains approximately 102,000 square feet, was designed by architects Hubbell and Benes, a prominent Cleveland architecture firm of the period. A number of their works, including Wade Park and The Cleveland Museum of Arts, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The 1918, 1920, 1948 Cleveland Masonic Temple designed by Cleveland architects Hubbell & Benes exhibits Romanesque Revival style with a 1948 sandstone façade. The Roman Arch with an inset trio of blind Roman arch arcade is a motif that is exhibited at both the Euclid Avenue façade and the Auditorium main entrance. The reinforced concrete with steel framing with orange-red brick exterior. The building plan is L-shaped with block form and minimal window openings to allow for auditorium and masonic lodge use. The exterior is composed of orangered brick on all elevations with evidence of carbon build-up and deterioration at the base (sidewalk salt migration) and the parapet. The sandstone façade exhibits delamination. The historic canopies demonstrate deterioration and alterations. Entry doors have been replaced throughout.
The Interior is divided into the 1918 Auditorium, 1920 Grand Foyer and the 1920 Masonic Lodges/Tower. The interior is well maintained but demonstrates signs of wear. The intent of the rehab is to bring the building up to life safety and ADA compliance and refurbishing back-of house spaces while maintaining and caring for the historic Auditorium. The Masonic Temple loss of attendance is greatly due to the lack of air conditioning and absence of concessions and bar. By providing these modern amenities the Masonic Temple can be resurrected back to its historic use. The historic DeMolay Lodge is the only lodge employed by the varying Masons. The remaining lodges have either been abandoned or adapted as studio space for the Singing Angels and the Dancing Wheels. They retain remnants of historic architectural features, isolated to decorative pilasters and the stages.
The Auditorium houses one of the most captivating theater spaces in the city with seating capacity for approximately 2,500 people. The Auditorium is composed of hardwood and concrete floors with plaster walls and ceiling elaborately decorated with detailed finishes in painted blue and pink colors with gold accents. The proscenium stage is comprised of wood floor with orchestra pit which has been covered over to create an apron and steps added to access the stage from the main wood floor at the forestage. Pilasters and decorative gold grille surround define the proscenium wall with flanking elevated proscenium and balcony boxes with brass rails, and draped entries. The north balcony box houses sound and lighting boards. The south balcony box houses a Mighty Wurlitzer pipe organ console. Main entry to the Auditorium is from a single entry at the Foyer and two flanking entries at the Second Floor Lobby front of the house. Brass wall grilles flank entry areas. All front of the house entry doors are leather bond metal doors with blind ovals and brass hardware. Floor, mezzanine and balcony seating face the stage area with main floor movable seating on carpeted floors behind a wood-paneled half-wall and 2,200 fixed chairs on upper floors. Stairs and aisles with brass handrails ease audience access to mezzanine and balcony seating areas. Upper seating areas are concrete with marble baseboards and carpeted stairs and aisles. Painted metal ventilation grilles are located on the north and south walls at the mezzanine level.
CONTACT AND DIRECTIONS
For Live Music please contact: Mike Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org
or Event inquiries please contact: Dan Ores at email@example.com
Temple Live – Cleveland Masonic
3615 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44115